[Play free now] Publisher Perfect World Entertainment and developer Cryptic Studios today announced that the first update for Age of Discovery is now available for the PC version of Star Trek Online and releases on consoles at a later date. Starting right now, players can log into the Free-to-Play MMORPG based on the iconic Star Trek universe to experience brand new content expanding on the popular CBS All Access series, Star Trek: Discovery.
As Star Trek fans wait for the series’ second season to begin early next year, they can jump into the game for free on Arc and Steam to create a Starfleet Captain from the Discovery timeline and fight the Klingons alongside Cadet Sylvia Tilly, voiced by Mary Wiseman from the show. Today’s update is just the beginning for Age of Discovery, which will continue to bring Star Trek Online players even more Star Trek: Discovery content with future updates.
With the update release, Star Trek fans can become a part of Star Trek: Discovery by creating a new playable Discovery era Starfleet Captain and participating in a brand new starting experience. The massive game content update also includes two new Discovery episodes for all characters, a new Task Force Operation to defend Starbase 1 and a revamped Mission Journal to help new players explore principle story arcs in the game.
A full list of features introduced with the first Age of Discovery update includes:
• Playable Discovery Era Federation Faction – Players can create a brand new Discovery era Federation Captain with a new tutorial experience and explore Starfleet in the year 2256, just after the Battle at the Binary Stars.
• Two New Episodes – Players from all factions can explore two new episodes, where they will be tasked with fending off Klingon boarding the U.S.S. Glenn, and defending Starbase 1 from an assault by Klingon House D’Ghor.
• New Task Force Operation – Queues in Star Trek Online will now be known as “Task Force Operations.” Age of Discovery’s newest Task Force Operation (TFO) will take players back to 2256 through historical simulation to protect Starbase 1.
• Random Task Force Operations System – Those who queue for a randomly selected TFO through this new system will be rewarded with a large bonus, along with the standard rewards for completing the challenge.
• Streamlined Mission Journal – The Mission Journal has been streamlined for all Federation factions, in order to help new players better access the main story content in Star Trek Online. This affects Task Force
Operations, which now unlock earlier in progression.
• Added Reputation Tier – All reputations will be extended to Tier 6 and will include upgrades to existing rewards, plus some new ones.