Leaked a couple of days ago, Perfect World China today officially announced its new MMORPG, Holy King, based on a popular novel. Do note that this is not Project Z, the company’s first self-develop action MMORPG. The art direction of Holy King is said to be led by a former NCsoft art director.
Do watch the trailer below, and I will explain some of the features showcased right after. I felt at a loss after watching the trailer for the first time as well…
1. The “swallow” system. Yes, as seen in the trailer, players can swallow literally everything, including monsters, plants, buildings, NPCs, floating islands and more. It is also possible to swallow up enemy players’ dead bodies, followed by their souls. While no full details are available now, this system is used to strengthen characters.
2. The “soul” system. After players die, their souls (the blue spirit thing) form part of a 2nd life with an independent skill tree. Players can continue to battle of self-destruct on desired targets. Despite being strong, players’ souls can be swallowed by enemies. It is not known what will happen after that…
3. The “soul change” system. As players become stronger, they gain access to transformation skills, allowing them to turn into buildings, monsters, plants, NPCs and more. This system allows players to spy on opposing camps, escape from enemies and even to ambush players. Imagine a whole guild lying in wait, while disguised as a large forest!
4. With the new in-house Echo Engine, Perfect World has promised that there will be no graphical lag when having many moving characters on the same screen, which is essential for both PvE and PvP.
5. BAM, which means Big Assed-Monsters, made famous recently by TERA. There will be those in Holy King as well, as seen in the trailer.
6. I will touch on the combat and class systems when more information is available. For a preview, players’ main weapon will have multiple uses, including as a mount and there will be 9 classes.