ODIN: Valhalla Rising has caused some shockwaves since it was first revealed earlier this year, and it was quickly followed by a publishing agreement with Korean gaming titan Kakao Games. Together with developer Lionheart Studio, more details and elements of this Unreal Engine 4 masterpiece were revealed during the ongoing G-Star 2020 exhibition. Let us find out more on what exciting features ODIN: Valhalla Rising can offer to all players!
• As mentioned previously, ODIN: Valhalla Rising is developed for both PC and mobile platforms (cross-platform unconfirmed) based on Nordic mythology.
• Players can travel through the massive world of ODIN: Valhalla Rising without any map loading, which is a next-gen feature getting popular in newer titles. The game does on step further by also allowing aerial travel with no restrictions! In most titles, the tall mountains on the horizon are simply used as a static background to give it a “big world” feel and also to conform to hardware restrictions. This is different in ODIN: Valhalla Rising, as the development team aims to truly present a playable “endless horizon” experience.
• While there is no technology name given, Lionheart Studio claimed to have a lighting system which does not utilize Unreal Engine 4’s default settings, but a new lighting technique which is customized to “express the sensibility of Nordic mythology”.
• Lionheart Studio also boasted a “realistic 3D modeling” element, in which actual medieval costumes are scanned thoroughly and added to the game. Mentioned previously, motion capture technology is used to reflect movements in the game. All these will allow real-time in-game graphical changes such as bleeding, change of emotions (for both humans and monsters) and also damage done to body parts (monsters).
• The 4 confirmed continents in ODIN: Valhalla Rising are Midgard, Jotunheim, Niflheim, Alfheim.
• It was teased that players might be able to face Nordic gods such as Loki and a group known as Void Legion.
• No launch schedule was mentioned during this G-Star 2020 presentation other than the usual “Coming Soon 2021”, so stay tuned for more updates!