The Overwatch League is expanding again! Last month, franchises representing Atlanta and Guangzhou joined the Overwatch League, and now 6 more teams – Chengdu, Hangzhou, Paris, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, D.C. – will compete for the 2019 Overwatch League championship. With a roster of 20 total teams, 9 of them outside of the United States, the Overwatch League has further strengthened its position as the premier global city-based esports league. Details about the 2019 season will be released at a later date.
The ownership groups for the new franchises are:
• Aquilini Group – A diversified family business that owns the National Hockey League’s Vancouver Canucks and Rogers Arena, and manages a global conglomerate portfolio will operate the team in Vancouver, Canada
• Bilibili – A leading online entertainment company for young people in China, covering a wide array of genres and media formats including: videos, live broadcasting, and mobile games will operate the team in Hangzhou, China
• DM Esports – A global company focused on esports entertainment and investments will operate the team in Paris, France
• HUYA Inc. – A leading game livestreaming platform in China will operate the team in Chengdu, China
• OverActive Media – An integrated company delivering esports and video game entertainment to the Canadian market will operate the team in Toronto, Canada
• Washington Esports Ventures – A sports organization founded by Mark Ein, owner of the Washington Kastles of World Team Tennis, to build and promote esports enterprises will operate the team in Washington, D.C.