Monster Hunter Online will be entering its debut test phase on 28th June, and I don’t think I will be able to get a key… Still, publisher Tencent Games’ news department gave the game a try, and below are some brief details.
1. Players will not be able to adjust character height and body shape, as being an action game, it is important to keep certain stats permanently fixed.
2. Players will all begin with a normal sword, and choose a new weapon after completing the tutorial quests. For now, 4 weapons are available – Sword, Great Sword, Long Sword and Bowgun.
3. Rather than immediately entering the PvE maps from town, there will be a neutral ground to pass by first, somewhat similar to Dragon Nest. While this big area has no monsters, there are various NPCs giving hints.
4. Flow of PvE maps is similar to the experience found in the Monster Hunter franchise, there are no major changes.
5. The scarring system on monsters is very effective, as damaged areas with wounds can clearly be seem. Also, damaged parts such as head and ears (?!) will have their 3D models changed.
6. While players can deal a fatal blow to monsters and rip them off for materials, they can also choose to tame them. Taming them will see an increase in rewards (experience points I guess) when the round is completed.
7. When a map is completed, players will get a screen informing them of the damage dealt, time spent etc, pretty much like Dragon Nest as well.
8. Crafted by CryEngine 3, the day and night system works perfectly in Monster Hunter Online, with reflections being detailed and even the gloss of character armors changing by the amount of light available.