Seeking to break into the Free to Play MMO market, New Zealand studio Grinding Gear Games has revealed their maiden MMO title, Path of Exile. As described on the official website, Path of Exile is a free online-only action role-playing game set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast (how do I pronounce this…). and to me, looks really similar to a more 3D version of Diablo 2… The game is currently still under development and a public beta is anticipated in early 2011.
Some features include:
- A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players
- A dark and gritty game world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
- Battle dozens of foes across a variety of unique areas
- Randomly generated levels and items for extreme replayability
- Online ranking and ladders for every game mode
- Visceral combat with dozens of combinable skills
- Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition
Personally, it is a fresh breath of air given that indie developers tend to start off with Pay to Play titles, which usually ended up in a disaster. Let’s hope this game will garner more positive attention from the MMO community.