[Official announcement] Formerly known as Torchlight Frontiers, the action MMO in development by Echtra Games and set to be published by Perfect World Entertainment has changed its name to Torchlight III in an announcement. Torchlight III is also the official sequel, as the game takes place centuries since the events of Torchlight II. The third game in the series will also change its business model from Free-to-Play to Buy-to-Play on Steam, with an official PC launch launch this year followed by a console version later. So basically, Torchlight III is going back to its original roots in Torchlight I and Torchlight II.
When Torchlight III releases on Steam this summer, players will be able to purchase the full game and play however they like (online or off) with access to all playable content. Rather than focusing on horizontal progression, the game shifts back to the familiar linear world structure that was introduced with Torchlight I and II. Torchlight fans will be happy to hear that the features and mechanics that set the original series apart will all be available!
After selecting from Torchlight III’s unique character classes, players will choose a pet to accompany them on their new adventure: a fluffy alpaca, a swift owl or a loyal canine retriever. From there, they will explore forests filled with dangerous creatures and participate in thematic quests to earn powerful rewards. A full list of features includes:
● Travel the Frontier: Players can explore the wilderness, party with friends, gather materials to craft loot, use magical maps to enter unknown dungeons, or show off their spoils in town! There’s always something to do in the new frontier.
● Build & Upgrade Your Fort: It’s time to rebuild! Players will enjoy their very own account-based fort,where they can upgrade gear, and make renovations to show it off to their friends and the world. The game allows them to build monuments of power, pet stables, and more!
● Choose a Relic: Relics are objects of great power that grant players a suite of active skills and passive skills. Players can craft them, level them up and store them in their fort. The relic is an important part of a character’s strategy – choose wisely!
● Collect Epic Gear: Whether it’s armor, weapons, dyes, recipes, ember cores, or even new pets … there’s always more to find as adventurers battle through dungeons and take on dangerous foes. Every randomly-generated area can be replayed over and over again since each instance brings different items. Those who want even more epic gear can run maps from the Mapworks, or take on a contract to earn Fame and unlock elite items.
● Pets are Back: Players can fight their way to fame and glory with loyal companions! Each of the many species comes in a myriad of colors and styles so adventurers shouldn’t settle for the first one they find. They can also make these pets stronger by adding skills, equip them with gear to make them hardier, and together battle enemies as a team.
● Build Your Hero: With four classes to choose from, players can utilize class-specific mechanics to maximize damage and their odds of survival. Torchlight III lets them gather epic gear, select your Relic powers, and customize loadouts to create a unique combat style for their heroes.
Torchlight III features diverse hero classes with unique abilities and powers:
● The Dusk Mage is an enchanter who harnesses the power of light and dark energy to conjure devastating attacks.
● The Forged is a powerful robot who relies on an arsenal of weaponry to build up heat and unleash explosive assaults.
● The Railmaster is a locomotive savvy powerhouse who steams into combat with a massive hammer and heavily armed battle train.
● Plus, a brand new class which will be revealed soon!