From the developer of the upcoming martial arts MMO, Age of Wulin, comes Darkness and Light (also known as Savage Horizon). And no, it is not that Darkness and Light from a few years back which eventually got canned.
Snail Games has provided Chinese gaming website, 17173.com, with an exclusive look into the game and I am here to translate the details for you. This game sounds and looks really epic! Update: More information here on the game’s origins.
1. Development of the game started way back in 2005, with it teased once again just last year.
2. Similar to Age of Wulin, an in-house graphics engine is used, but this time using the Mafate engine.
3. The game is apparently over 40,000 square kilometers, 40 times the size of World of Warcraft. In this huge open world, there will be 10 races separated into 2 factions. Of course, these races will be available for players to choose. They include humans, elves, beastmen, dwarves, fairies, demons, dragons and more.
4. When players create a character, the system will generate an unique growth path for them. All players will get to try out the various battle and life classes at first in order to allow them to choose a class most suited for them to progress. Eventually, a well-trained character will be a sword-wielding warrior who is able to throw fireballs in the middle of battle!
5. Other than the battle classes, there will be a variety of life classes for players to play as. Having your own shop (like a real actual shop space), going on a trade expedition, a skilled blacksmith, a world-renown herbalist, a wandering storyteller, a knowledgeable historian, a dragon trainer (gasp!)… All these and more is possible in Darkness and Light! These unique classes will cater for players who are not so much into battles.
6. When players eventually gain a huge amount of honor and recognition, the kingdom will bestow him with a title and a piece of land. With the piece of land, players can build a grand castle from scratch, eventually turning the areas around it into a town! If the player is lucky, there will be a time where a gold mine is discovered in the mountains within his territory, which can be farmed by the citizens of the town.
7. There will be an active and live weather change system. Snow, fog, sunny, rain, hailstorm… all these will have an effect on the world. For example, if a snowstorm suddenly strikes, trading markets in town will close shop early. When players use a massive AOE ice skill during such a time, a mega blizzard will be formed!
8. The transportation system will be one to look out for as well. In such a big open world, it is not possible to move around just by using a pair of legs! There will be flying transportation like tamed dragons, personal gliders (what?!), parachutes and of course, normal mounts and even a personal dragon.
9. All players will be within the same server. Other than just plain grinding for experience points, activities like taking part in political campaigns and even trading will nab players with points.
That is all for this rather limited teaser announcement. With Snail Games developing and publishing only Free to Play MMOs, will Darkness and Light be the same? How will the cash shop function if it indeed is?
How is the combat like, given Age of Wulin’s combat can be touted as “creative” in its own rights? There are quite a few questions swirling in my head now, but stay tuned to my blog for more upcoming information.