As you all might have read, Ragnarok 2: Legend of the Second, a revamped version of the original Ragnarok 2, went into its first Stress test recently. After reading many reports and reviews from both Korean and Chinese gamers, it is really surprising to not find any positive mention about the games (from its first beta at least). What were some of the issues faced by avid gamers longing for the sequel?
1. ATI Radeon card users had to download Nvidia’s PhyX program to run the game.
2. Servers kept crashing, leading to an extension of the beta period. It was said that there were a total of 20,000 players (including players of the old version) and the servers could not handle the load. Gravity later announced that as it was the very first beta, the servers could only hold 5,000 players. The issue has since been solved.
3. The game would not run after clicking “Start” on the website. Gravity then announced a few hours later that only Internet Explorer will work to launch the game for Windows 7 users. Players will also have to be in Administrator mode for their system.
4. When creating characters, the game will allocate the most suitable profession for each class. This no doubt killed much of the fun factor to allow players to explore the new professions.
5. Game’s graphics incurred much wrath as players deem the new engine used, Gamebryo, is not on par with the previous version which used the Unreal engine.
As summed up by one of the tester, the game actually looks like a dumbed-down, 3D version of Ragnarok 1. Personally, despite reading the various negative reports, I feel that Gravity should at least be given a chance to rectify the problems in the upcoming beta phases. Do note that not all features were opened in the initial beta too. Let us hope Ragnarok 2 will finally see light in the English market soon.