As big as Pearl Abyss might be right now, the Korean game company with global ambitions will still need to get new products to supplement its lineup of regular game launches. It is still not enough with the upcoming Crimsons Desert, Plan 8, and DokeV. Enter Vic Game Studios, which was founded back in October 2020 with Pearl Abyss providing a seed investment of around USD 2.6 million, hence owning a 27% stake in the new startup.
Then in June this year (2021), Pearl Abyss made the first investment in Vic Game Studios, with the amount being unknown. Before we move further, Vic Game Studios is founded by Jae-Young Choi, who was the key development lead for Netmarble’s hit mobile RPG, The Seven Deadly Sins: Grand Cross. Recently, the startup began hiring for many positions on its first game, and here are some details we know through these job postings.
• Project B is a Japanese anime-style mobile RPG
• It will be crafted using Unreal Engine 4
• It is a collectible RPG title (most likely collection of characters)
• Motion capture acting will be utilized
• At least some parts of the game will be in 3D, as hinted with the choice of engine and hiring of 3D modelers
• Vic Game Studio’s introduction to the project is “We are working hard to develop high-quality graphics and mobile RPG targeting the global market.”