Even though PearlAbyss, developer of the upcoming Black Desert, did not have an appearance in the consumer hall, the Korean media still managed to get treated to some eye candy back in the business hall.
A short interview was carried out by Inven Korea, and here is a quick summary for this awesome looking MMORPG from the folks who made Continent of the Ninth.
1. Current game build runs minimally on GeForce 8600, Radeon HD 3000.
2. Development is at 70% done for the projected Open Beta client, with Closed Beta to take place in the first half of 2013. August or September 2013 is currently scheduled for Open Beta.
3. Black Desert, as PearlAbyss’ first game, has 52 staff, with 50 developers and 2 business staff.
4. A new Asian-oriented class with a “samurai” concept is in development.
5. World size is around the same as vanilla World of Warcraft’s, but will look bigger as Black Desert has a seamless world. Of course, there will be instanced dungeons as well.
6. Jousting, or mounted combat, is less efficient in general hunting, as its main purpose is to be used during sieges. And yes, players may ride a giant elephant into sieges.
Other than these details, a small quest was shown to demonstrate how Black Desert intends to deal with rats in the game (which MMO doesn’t have small critters?). Instead of killing X of them, players will have to control the flute using the “A” and “D” keys and lead the rats to the… sea. Yeah, Pied Piper style.