Currently operating in 76 countries and still collecting a monthly fee (there are F2P options as well), MMO legend/ classic Ragnarok Online is celebrating its 10th anniversary! Since 2002, the game has braved the various storms and other hardships to cement its position in online gaming folklore. Here are some numbers taken from foreign websites about this beloved game.
1. Ragnarok Online begun operation in Korea on 1st August 2002. Other regions celebrating a full 10 years of P2P include Taiwan and Japan.
2. The Ragnarok franchise now has games on the PC, Playstation Vita, mobile phones, Nintendo DS and more, a total of 18 media and platforms.
3. Ragnarok Online has won 27 recognized awards from around the globe during this 10 years of service, including a 3-year continuous reign as Korea’s top content exporter winner. Other countries include Japan, Indonesia, North America etc.
4. Ragnarok Online has a total of 54 classes, including advancements.
5. Ragnarok Online in Korea is still seeing an average of 400 new registrants on a daily basis. Last month, July 2012, saw 12,000 new registrants, bringing the total membership to 7.5 million. The ration of male to female gamers is 7:3.
6. Ragnarok Online has a total of 3,961 items and 617 maps.
7. The highest CCU (con-current users) recorded was 789,323 globally. Ragnarok Online was also once known as the “country’s game” in Taiwan, Japan, Thailand and the Philippines. The highest CCU for Taiwan was 350,000, Thailand 130,000, Japan 100,000, Philippines 57,000, Singapore and Malaysia 31,000, Brazil 20,000 and North America 15,000.
8. Ragnarok Online has an estimated number of 58 million global players throughout the years. This is remarkable seeing how the game was able to prosper in countries where IT is still at its infancy. I was one of the players, active in WOE as well!
9. 885 million USD. That is the approximate total sales (including royalties, export sales etc) Ragnarok Online has made over this decade.