Zombie Online, a new 2D side-scroller MMORPG, recently concluded its 3rd Closed Beta phase in Korea. With this, several new systems were tested and some upcoming ones were previewed. How is it different from the current king of action side-scroller, Nexon’s Dungeon Fighter Online? More information can be found in my previous posts.
1. From my previous post, I stated that there are 2 opposing factions, Geba and Bloodwalker. Zombies make up the “3rd” faction, and then it is a free-for-all world. In certain open world maps, these 3 groups will sometimes meet, hence the start of a PvPvE (a term made popular by NCsoft’s Aion) scenario. Awesome!
2. Of course, there are the various instances. Each instances will come with different difficulty modes, similar to Dungeon Fighter Online. From various player comments, it is said that some form of teamwork is absolutely needed, instead of rushing up and attack mindlessly at the final boss awaiting at the end of each stage. Better stuff drops at the higher difficulties.
3. By completing instances, players will get tokens as well. These can be collected to trade for items at the allocated NPC. Note that tokens are not the in-game currency, but rather a form of reward.
4. The skill system will allow players to mix and match various skill and even air combos. Like most fighting games, you deal higher damage and gain more experience the more continuous combos you hit on mobs.
5. Players may also turn in to zombies! I am not going to explain too much about this unique system, but do note that players may collect DNA specimens from zombies, Once a certain zombie’s collection hits 100%, players may change into the particular zombie’s appearance. In the open areas, players in zombie mode will be seen as a zombie by other human players, meaning your character name will not be shown, but the zombie monster’s. Players move slower in zombie mode, and there will be a town specially to cater for players in zombie mode.
6. The next few features will be implemented during Open Beta and so on. Introducing Metal Slug: Zombie Redux… not. This is actually a gear unti, consisting of 5 different parts players may collect, assemble and ride. The 5 different parts increases various stats, including melee and ranged attack, defense, speed etc.
7. A pet system. While I am not sure if it attacks, I am sure it will help players pick up loot. Experience will be shared between the player and pet, aiding its growth to the adult form.
I am kind of lazy to go through the other features, like equipment socketing, enhancing etc, but I am sure most MMO players would have some clue about these systems. And here we have the main feature of Zombie Online… the game’s pretty spokeperson! Introducing Seoyeon! Our girl here first rose to fame through stints as a showgirl during Starcraft league battles and… self-posted photos on the internet. Now she is the official zombie girl!